Friday, November 30, 2007

Help! I've got a fishbone in my throat!

It’s been an agonizing week, healthwise. A fishbone or scale, (till this day, I don’t know which) got stuck in my throat. I tried swallowing bananas and drinking lots of water but the object kept jabbing my throat. I couldn’t do a thing!

It was so bad, I had to go to the emergency ward where they did an X-ray and confirmed it was a bone. It looked like a figure seven hanging on to the larynx. It looked so huge on the –x-ray, it scared the life out of me! They gave a referral to the Ear, Nose and Throat Department. There the experts in the field stated that everyone has that bone. The doctor then did a scan, through my nostril, but she couldn’t see a thing. The machine wasn’t clear. (That’s based on her conversation with the hospital attendant). Then she did the scan through my throat. I felt the bone hurting me but still she couldn’t see a thing. Her supervisor came in. He, too didn’t see a thing. So he gave me two options. Take a course of antiobiotics or have my throat opened up and the latter was no guarantee that the bone could be found. I didn’t have to consider. I took the safer option.

Meanwhile I came home and tried one home remedy after another. I swallowed vinegar, the rationale being that the acidic properties in it would dissolve the bone. It didn’t work. I drank glasses of black vinegar mixed with Sprite to make it more palatable. That didn’t help. I swallowed rice balls – all to no avail.
I suffered though the week, which was compounded by a throbbing headache on my right temple. No amount of Paracetemol could get rid of it. Finally, I decided to go for a massage, to get rid of the headache. The headache remained but thank God, the jabbing sensation in my throat is gone.

No comments:

 
payperpost