Thursday, December 13, 2007

How to toilet train a puppy

During the car ride home of twenty kilometers or so, Nicole sat on the front passenger seat, quiet and uneasy, sensing that she was in unfamiliar territory. I stroked her back and crooned to calm her down. I was afraid she would wet the car seat which would mean plenty of headache for me. Lucky thing, she didn’t. I stopped at a convenient place and placed newspapers beneath the rug, just in case. When I lifted her from the seat, I could tell she was quite frightened since I had to practically prise her off the seat. I placed her on my lap. She began looking out of the window at the passing scenery before lying down and placing her jaw on the crook of my inner elbow. I guess she needed the assurance of human contact.

The first thing she did when she arrived at her new home was to wet the hall and walk all over her urine. Yuks! I cleaned up the spot, introduced her to the washroom, then told her in no uncertain terms to do her business there. She didn’t get it. For the next few days, she began wetting in different areas of the house. Each time she did it, I made a ruckus, warned her and took her to the toilet bowl again to tell her to do her business there. She’s scared of the toilet and of falling in. Now she doesn’t wet or poop in the open but does it in hidden corners, which is even worse. Phew, for the past few days, I’ve been like a maid cleaning up after her. ” Nicole, Nicole, when will you get it?”

No comments:

 
payperpost