Wednesday, December 5, 2007

American English versus British English

If you compare English television broadcast in Beijing and Guangzhou, you will notice that up north, local newscasters and anchormen use American English, whereas in Guangzhou, British English is used. The obvious reason for the latter is its close proximity to Hong Kong. This is not confined to the square box only, but to the classroom as well. Having had the experience of teaching both in Beijing and Guangzhou, I had to adapt to the local accent of both environments.

These days I'm beginning to fall in love with the British accent. From the right speakers, it comes forth so classy - very pleasant to the ear. It's just like Pudonghua or Mandarin. When I listen to someone speak Beijinghua, I just wish I could speak like that.

No comments:

 
payperpost